On August 15, 1891 families in and around Bartlett decided to build a church in their own community in preference to traveling to Ontarioville (now Hanover Park) or Hoosier Grove (now Streamwood) for worship. They chose to keep the name of the mothering congregations, IMMANUEL – God is with us – as their own on August 26, 1891.
Two lots were purchased at the corner of North and Western Avenues for $150. Plans were drawn, and on September 21 the church incorporated. The cornerstone was laid on October 1, and the building was erected over the winter and dedicated, debt free, on March 13, 1892 at a cost of $1,825.
In 1892, a Sunday School was organized and a parochial school built. In 1893 the Frauen Verein (Ladies Aid) furnished the church and purchased a 609 pound bronze bell. In 1919 the church was cut in two and extended 16 feet in length, and raised, to add a basement. An 11 rank Kilgen pipe organ was purchased for $2,220.
Additional lots were purchased in 1916 and 1958, increasing the church property to one half block. In 1964-65 an Education Building and a parsonage were constructed.
The 80th anniversary of the congregation was celebrated with the addition of new siding, a new entrance and a decorative cornerstone with historic items of the church’s history placed inside.
In preparation for the Centennial year, 1991-92, the organ was rebuilt and the Sanctuary completely restored and decorated. Three art-glass windows depicting scenes from the life of Christ were given in memory of loved ones.
All God's Children Preschool, for ages 3-5, began in 1995 teaching character and academics in a Christian setting until May of 2016 when they closed their doors. Immanuel also sponsors Boy Scout Troop 26 and Cub Pack 26, and has extended its facilities to the Girl Scouts and Brownies in the past.
The history of our denomination depicts the merging of different faith traditions: The Congregational Church with the Christian Church in 1931, and the German Evangelical Church with the Reformed Church of Germany in 1934. In 1957 these merged denominations joined to become the United Church of Christ (UCC). Though 'young' by history's standards, the UCC is connected to rich backgrounds and theology: England/NewEngland's 'Puritan' and Martin Luther's German 'Reformed' traditions. This "God is Still Speaking" denomination, with each local congregation determining its' place in their respective communities, continues to be a "united and uniting church" with Jesus Christ as its' foundation. For more information see www.ucc.org.
Immanuel United Church of Christ has been served by the following pastors:
1891-1892 Gustav Hagemann
1892-1913 Carl F. Baumann
1914-1916 Herman Wolf
1916-1918 Kurt M. Kielhorn
1918-1937 William F. Rathmann
1937-1945 Frederick Schnadthorst
1945-1957 Benjamin Freese
1957-1962 Dennis W. Patterson
1962-1969 William F. Nagy
1970-1994 Theodore E. Preuss
1994-1998 Gerald R. O’Connor
2000-2006 James Benzing
2010- Susan Tyrrel